Saturday, February 23, 2008

Paardeberg Ball, 2008

The anniversary of the Battle of Paardeberg, from the Boer War, is a fixture in the calendar of the Royal Canadian Regiment. In London, for the RCR's Fourth (militia) Battalion, the Paardeberg Ball is an opportunity to be glamorous. For me, is was an opportunity to debut in my mess kit, the traditional red jacket and dark trousers that has been the traditional formal wear of British and Commonwealth armies for ages.



I am missing the Chaplain's Branch lapel badges, and a white shirt and tie would make a nice change from the clerical shirt and collar. Maybe next time. Alas, my wife Kay, an American and proud of it, has been taught from childhood that soldiers in red coats are bad guys, and would not pose with me. Perhaps next time.

This year's Ball, the 108th held in London, was a classy affair, thanks to the efforts of Captain Martin Anderson and the organizing committee. Regrettably, the Paardeberg Ball occurs during the season of Lent, and this year the Good Lord made it known to me that my Lenten fast should involve alcohol. Alas! Comically, my seatmate to my right was also observing the same Lenten fast, much to the delight of the captain to my left, who had one of the complimentary wine bottles to himself.

Here two of my colleagues demonstrate their training in making use of local flora as camouflage. On the left is my fellow Lenten pilgrim, the newly promoted Lt. Jerry Rozic, and on the right is Captain Brian Telfer. Jerry was serving as General's ADC that night, hence the aguillettes (the gold bling, as one guest called it) on his shoulder.



Pro patria!

1 comment:

Snickering Corpses said...

> Alas, my wife Kay, an American and proud of it, has been taught from childhood that soldiers in red coats are bad guys, and would not pose with me.

Good for her! Evil tea-drinkers, the lot of you! ;)

Very sharp attire, however. Sounds like you had an excellent time.

Mad Padre

Mad Padre
Opinions expressed within are in no way the responsibility of anyone's employers or facilitating agencies and should by rights be taken as nothing more than one person's notional musings, attempted witticisms, and prayerful posturings.

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels